What is humanely raised meat?
If only humanely raised had a clear meaning. Instead, farmers and food companies practice humane animal care in different ways, depending on their knowledge and beliefs about animals. It’s up to us to determine which practices we want to support.
“Wait,” you’re thinking, “I just want to go shopping and know what’s humane. Please tell me!”
I could, but that would be my opinion. Try to determine what definition of humanely raised you want to support by clicking the green links below.
What “humanely raised” can mean:
Here are 5 (very simplified) ways of thinking about humane animal care. Which ones feel right to you?
But let’s agree…
Even though “humanely raised” can be defined differently, it should never mean that:
- Animals are raised in cages
- Animals are raised in tightly crowded barns
- Animals aren’t allowed to express their natural behaviors
- Animals are bred in ways that lead to physical deformities
- Animals are routinely given feed that risks making them sick
Unfortunately, most animals raised for food in America are raised in these ways. Change will only happen as more people (such as yourself) choose alternative products!
Was this page helpful to you? Please let me know.