What is humanely raised meat?
If only humanely raised had a clear meaning. Instead, farmers and food companies practice humane animal care in different ways. This means each of us has to determine for ourselves which farming practices we want to support.
“Wait,” you’re thinking, “I just want to go shopping and know what’s humane!”
I would love to tell you what to buy, but that would be my choice, not yours. Choose your ethical approach by reading these (very simplified) definitions of humane:
What “humanely raised” can mean:
Which approach feels right to you? (click to expand)
But let’s agree…
Even though “humanely raised” can be defined differently, it should never mean that:
- Animals are raised in cages
- Animals are raised in tightly crowded barns
- Animals aren’t allowed to express their natural behaviors
- Animals are bred in ways that cause physical deformations
- Animals are routinely given food that risks making them sick
Unfortunately, most animals raised for meat, eggs, and dairy in America are raised in these ways. Change will only happen as more people (such as yourself) choose alternative products!
Was this page helpful to you? Please let me know.